Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Praying Mantis Poem


          ultrasound voice = praying mantis

he/she, a super Mantodea of insects

“faster than a speeding bullet”


eating voraciously at the bug buffet

praying but alas, truly preying


not to intrigue you but the female mantis

takes care of her lover by biting

his head off as he locks

inside her, yes, he is fighting

losing the battle his lower 

nervous system takes over


he continues his mating. 

males, lower nervous systems

(poet clears throat)


they symbolize spirituality

mindfulness for some

patience, quiet focus


and then he/she remarkably

sees 3-D with stereo vision

moving his/her head 180 degrees

viewing with precision


please, enough said

the praying mantis 

is not dead, the great

pretender falls into

decaying leaves

one of the Dead Leaf clan


           totally appalling, i say

       totally appealing, others say


joanconnor2026



Notes aside:

This poem was written for a Story Circle Network poetry group I participate in monthly. The prompt was "voice." The praying mantis subject emerged as I read the wonderful book that was donated to my Little Free Library bookmobile, Eric Carle's ANIMALS ANIMALS. It is a collection of poetry by various poets. Of course Eric Carle's famous collages fill the pages beyond one's imagination.

Obviously my poem is not for children!! I did not intend it to be almost rated "R," but it became what it became. 

The photo is a stock photo from the internet. My photo of a praying mantis is definitely not as precise, but I took it the day I wrote the poem. Hubby discovered a mantis on the back of the golf cart.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Praying Mantis Poem

          ultrasound voice = praying mantis he/she, a super Mantodea of insects “faster than a speeding bullet” eating voraciously at the bu...