Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Picture Book Creating

 

What a joy giving children's books at our local farmers' market has been through my vintage travel trailer, my Little Free Library. The weather has been cool --- the acceptance and socializations very warm.

With all the shuffling and sorting and acquiring of picture books, I decided to create one.

I signed up with Susannah Hill's $150 online class. Making Picture Book Magic – Susanna Leonard Hill (susannahill.com) Susannah is thorough, responds quickly, very positive and has several published books.

I scratched my initial "feather duster"book and decided to "return to Mongolia" with my first children's  picture book. I was in Mongolia, Peace Corps (20011 - 2013), and have yet to finish my memoir of those incredible two years. I acquired a couple folktale books when overseas and am using them as inspiration and the main story line. Many of the folktales are quite gory, but I discovered, Four Friends to be a positive sweet tale that lends itself to whimsical illustrations.

Yes, I am illustrating it to the best of my abilities. I paid for a video to help me give the book the simplicity and quaintness that I desire.  Online Classes - Carla Sonheim Presents. More about this experience and specific teacher as I watch and scribble through the $72 video.

In the meantime, I am pumped to complete a book about Mongolia, one way or the other, children's or an adult memoir. Let's get with it and "just do it!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Write to Weave

 Below is an essay I just completed for my Sarah Lawrence memoir writing class. The prompt was to write about a learning experience. Mine is...