Friday, May 12, 2023

The Gift of Giving



It's time to catch-up, get remotivated and put the pen to paper. It has been nearly one month since I have caught you up regarding my whereabouts. 

We were spending a long weekend in Halletsville, Texas at a marvelous fiddle contest, the likes of which I have never experienced. The fiddles were played with such vim and vigor strings were flying across the stage. Several of the contestants were professionals, such as fiddlers with Asleep at the Wheel and in Lyle Lovett's band. I am sure there were more impressive connections that I missed or was oblivious to since I do not follow the fiddlers' circuit. 

I became ill the evening before we left and was prone the whole trip back to Kerrville. Then David got sick and had the wherewithal to test for Covid. We had it! For two weeks we stayed home and coughed our way to the finish line. Our strength was sapped. Fortunately we had started packing in April so the impending move was not affected by our inabilities to do much of anything.

We are almost packed and our move to Should Bee Drive is June lst.

In the meantime we are spending this Mother's Day weekend at a dulcimer festival in Glen Rose, Texas. I attended this festival many years ago. My wish came true yesterday. Jen came to our rv and took ALL the dulcimers, music, rhythm instruments, drums and paraphernalia for the raffle table.  The monies pay the performers and their housing for the festival. This festival is totally free for all who attend. It has been in existence for many many years.

I contributed two Blue Lion dulcimers (chromatic fretboard and bass), one McSpadden baritone, one original unusual dulcimer made in 1977 (Marietta, Ohio), and one psaltery. All the dulcimers were in excellent shape and their tone is absolutely awesome. I believe the older instruments have aged and the woods resonate with charm and tenacity.

And so I am going to lurk around the raffle tables, observe the comments and interest in these specific dulcimers. I will keep you posted regarding the results.

I hear you asking why I didn't sell the instruments that range in price from $650 to $800+ each. I am not sure there is that much interest in these specialized instruments - their values less than the original listed prices. Primarily the joy in being able to donate and support this program far outweighs a few hundred dollars in my pocket.

Off to listen to folks jammin' and performin' .....

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Write to Weave

 Below is an essay I just completed for my Sarah Lawrence memoir writing class. The prompt was to write about a learning experience. Mine is...