Monday, June 12, 2023

Summertime in North Idaho


From Farragut State Park, Athol, Idaho:

We have arrived safely after three grueling days on the road towing our 29' travel trailer. This is our home for the ensuing three months as I volunteer here in Farragut State Park. It is a particularly endearing gig in the Junior Ranger (JR) program. The designated rooms are in the museum which was the brig during WW II. The history of Farragut State Park is fascinating and I shall devote numerous posts to it this summer.

Today I am laid back, settling into our old site on Volunteer Row, readying the trailer to be our summer "cabin in the woods." 

Needless to say, the park is gorgeous, our site marvelous, the volunteer gig delightful and the neighborhood offers many new friends to meet - all volunteers in various ways.

I have been a volunteer here in North Idaho for years. However, this is only my second year here in Farragut, about a thirty minute drive from Coeur d' Alene. Previously I volunteered in Indian Creek SP on beautiful Priest Lake for seven years. I lose count each time I try to recall the exact summers.

Today there is nothing pressing. I am eager to visit the room and see what new artifacts and learning stations have been added. Suzi and Glenn, the other JR volunteers, will be there today.

Think it's time to build my first fire at 9:22 a.m. and drink my third cup of coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Write to Weave

 Below is an essay I just completed for my Sarah Lawrence memoir writing class. The prompt was to write about a learning experience. Mine is...