Sunday, August 13, 2023

Creating a Wildlife Habitat



How to Make Your Yard a Certified Wildlife Habitat - Native Backyards

I am onto this project! My backyard cottage garden is destined to become a natural wildlife habitat requiring the following:

  • Water – provide at least once source of water
  • Food – provide at least two food sources
  • Shelter – provide at least two sources of cover
  • Places to Raise Young – provide at least two places to mate and raise young
  • Sustainable Practices – engage in at least two categories of sustainable practices

I will be planting Texas native plants and taking small steps to creating my backyard paradise for birds, butterflies, hummingbirds and all God's critters. I thought of persuing this project years ago but alas, probably got sidetracked with living experiences and work.

Now I am ready to do it "right." In this 100+ degree Texas heat, my hours outside are limited, but the delight in planning it and pursuing the project online is happening right now. This is undoubtedly an ongoing forever undertaking!!

Interestingly, the certification process is completed on the honor system with the certificate available for $20. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Write to Weave

 Below is an essay I just completed for my Sarah Lawrence memoir writing class. The prompt was to write about a learning experience. Mine is...