Monday, October 30, 2023

Nature Journaling in the Classroom



I am currently teaching a journaling writing class at our stellar senior center. This week I have given “nature journaling” the front row seat. Without taking my adult students on a hike, I am bringing a touch of nature to our room. For each of the following prompts I have a visual or a few sprigs displayed in small bottles.

Roots: As you ponder the roots in your life, what images emerge? What words do you associate with roots?

Wildflowers: What wild ideas would you like to scatter and then patiently anticipate their blooming?

Bulbs: What memory, wish or desire would you like to bury, knowing that in a certain amount of time it would miraculously emerge as a beautiful happening?

Snapdragons: What monster dragon in your life needs to be snapped or severed?

Mums: If mums the word, what topics will you never write about?

We will also be discussing clustering, a journaling technique that is also called mind mapping. Word associations occur as one word leads thoughts to another to another to another. I am presenting a small bouquet in a salad dressing bottle (label included) that can prompt spontaneous word plays that will lead to writing a 5 minute sprint on a discovered theme. 

I hope the participants enjoy this creativity. 

Nature has to come into the classroom as our weather is cold and rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Write to Weave

 Below is an essay I just completed for my Sarah Lawrence memoir writing class. The prompt was to write about a learning experience. Mine is...