Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Dulcimer Dilemma

 

Today is the day I offer my mountain dulcimers for sale on Craigslist.

It is my tendency to indulge when I take up a new hobby, a new interest, a new pursuit.

I purchased dulcimers that I barely played. 

At the beginning of this century, I decided to become a dulcimer player.

I started a beginning dulcimer group in my living room that grew to become quite large

and relocated to a school music room. My goal was to create a dulcimer orchestra and

include all instruments. 

 

Eventually there was a coup. The group became a bluegrass group, no dulcimers included.

They performed around the area for years to come. Maybe they still are!

The coup occurred because my partner at the time stepped up to help me facilitate and

he became ornery......'nuff said.

 

The dulcimers separated and continued to meet and perform at historical events,

then several members moved, and the group stopped meeting regularly. 

 

I attended many dulcimer festivals, but never engaged in learning the instrument well.

I was not driven to progress in technique as I am with the fiddle. I was also teaching

full time and spreading myself thinly with other interests. 

 

So the dulcimers have been closeted for many years.  It is time to gather them together,

sell them, donate them, find new homes for all.  I am selling dulcimers for $600 each,

maybe less, maybe more.


I am keeping my favorite, a worn-out battered dulcimer that I paid $125 for brand new.

I should have been content with just that purchase!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding my Tribe

sunday solitude afternoon serenity birds become my tribe