Monday, January 17, 2022

Seasonings of Life



I am thinking about seasonings because I use them generously. If a recipe calls for two tablespoons, mine are heaping. I shake a little more on "for good measure."

The origin of that phrase was the Bible. and used to mean moderation. Then a British mathematician reversed its meaning to become ample.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/for-good-measure.html
I am using it as the math dude did.

My son-in-law tells my daughter to not scrimp on the seasonings. He worked for years with Outback Steakhouse. I believe in extra seasoning, not necessarily salt, but pepper and all the herbs.
Good Friend Bob made donuts yesterday using my "successful" recipe. I put it in quotes because it wasn't so successful for him. His wife thought mine to be delicious and his to be not so delicious. He didn't have the teaspoon of vanilla for the batter nor for the glaze.  Oh, oh, oh - makes a big difference.

And now to life and how I season my current situation. I am fully retired, not even substituting in the schools nor volunteering anywhere this winter. I have committed to teaching one five-week memoir class at the senior center this spring. That's the extent of my volunteering except in the summer. I volunteer in a state park in Idaho for months which I thoroughly enjoy.

I season my current time with writing classes, more like an addiction to that seasoning!
I season my early hours with watching morning news and reading.
I hope to season my time with painting. Each month I receive a thorough painting lesson on video for which I am paying $20/month. I am not quite ready to unsubscribe, but I better start painting to validate the expenditure. It's not a big-time commitment, maybe two/three hours per painting and I really like what the final project appears to be. I used to attend those painting wine parties at a local winery in Deming, NM, and loved the projects. Seasoning that needs to be opened!
A favorite seasoning that I use often is trekking to the dog park, as I have written about previously.
And the seasoning I use in great amounts is my music, practicing the fiddle and the piano.

What's your seasoning shelf looking like these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding my Tribe

sunday solitude afternoon serenity birds become my tribe