Friday, April 1, 2022

Day 1 NaPoWriMo

 Prompt: Prose Poem Writing



Denial Decision

“Joan, your wrist is to be x-rayed.” I was in the medical office of the Peace Corps, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, May 2013. “Our driver will take you.” My wrist, bandaged in brown elastic wrapping tape from my medical kit, was held tentatively. The pain had increased from three weeks of denial. Dutifully I climbed into the official black limousine, riding through the bumpy infrastructure of the capital, swerving to miss the familiar pits and rocky semi paved roads. The x-ray revealed a radial break. I pleaded to keep my current plane reservation back to the United States, completing my two years. Being medically evacuated was a logical decision. I wanted to finish what I had started. I left the office with a more stable cast. I kept my original plans. “You would not have needed,” my Dr. Daughter remarked after the Texas operation, “five pins inserted if you would have had surgery immediately after your fall instead of weeks later.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding my Tribe

sunday solitude afternoon serenity birds become my tribe