Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Junior Ranger Program


 The above photo captures part of the Jr. Ranger room, Farragut State Park, Athol, Idaho.

I am spending 3+ months volunteering in this room. Dave and Ava are back at the trailer in our lovely site on Volunteer Row Rd. Actually, today Dave is rewiring the new-to-me vintage trailer, preparing it for our trek Labor Day weekend back to Texas.

The program has been established for four years and is very well done. Activities such as water coloring, sensory bins (sand), touch and feel feathers and bird nests, deer bones to hold and explore……oh, so much for children of all ages. The bat corner is getting a small table on which the kids will be able to put together a bat skeleton, complete with intestines and lungs. This was one of my requests. Other suggestions have been honored, but not all!

My responsibilities include directing the children and parents through the self-guided “This or That” multiple choice worksheet on mini-clipboards, answer questions and check out backpacks loaded with activities and fishing rods/tackle boxes. These items can be borrowed for 24 hours to folks camped in the park and neighbors in the community. 

Since I have my hotspot on my phone which connects with an iPad, I keep myself entertained between visitors. As I contemplate this blog there are nine adults and teenagers in the room.  The boys are answering the clip board questions. I will give them a badge and patch if they complete the circuit.

They were such pleasant young men. The joy in meeting and greeting our future generation is rewarding. Yes, they completed all requirements  to earn a badge.

The interactions between parents and children is also interesting to observe. This is definitely a family room!

Before I sign off, excuse me as I pour some water in a tiny paper cup. The cutest five-year-old is water coloring as mom instructs, “Dip the brush into the water, then the paint. He is smiling as Dad sits down beside him. Little Boy says, “I need more juice,” (meaning water on the brush).  Big Sister is stamping her activity book documenting activities experienced here at Farragut. Now the two-year old is water coloring too, per Dad’s instructions.

All will receive a badge. I reward ALL participants that work at their levels of competency.

(to be continued)



No comments:

Post a Comment

NaPoWriMo Prompt - One Liner

  I’m taking a mental break!🤣. Here we go…… My one liner: “the relevancy of nursery rhymes is with the believer”