Thursday, December 8, 2022

Ramblings While Writing

 


I have been involved with several writing courses that illuminate poetry as prompts, as jumping off points for journaling wordplay. I really enjoy using poetry as prompts and have been writing numerous essays that incorporate poetry phrases. I like to think of it as poetry therapy which I think it is!

Laurie Wagner's class is one example of utilizing poetry. We are to write without any critical judgment, just “keep the pen on the paper,” Laurie says. I have mentioned this in an earlier blog.

Today's prompt was from Ellen Bass’ “Cold,” short prose poem, very understandable. 

Specifically, Laurie pulled out “every frailty, every pain could be an opening….”

but I really liked Bass’ final line, “How can I remember this when I’m old and need so much?”

https://www.ellenbass.com/

And now to ramble:

Wow! That line spoke to me with quite a jolt. Just yesterday I was commiserating how much I don’t

recall from my previous lives. You know, like my life married to Previous Spouse. I actually

verbalized to my current husband that I can’t recall Previous Spouse ever saying, “I love you.”

Of course he did??? I wondered what it sounded like. I can’t even remember his voice,

let alone those specific words.

We forget. And do I “need so much?” 

I am quite sure I need to be nudged when saying inconsiderate thoughts. 

I am quite sure I should be nudged when thoughts emerge through my verbalizations that should be

kept to myself. 

But as the “getting older” becomes the reality I really try to not need so much. 

I just need affirmation that I am not alone in feeling useless. 

I just need affirmation that I will not allow myself to indulge in loneliness. 

I just need to know that I can be forgiven for my frailties.

And so I muddle through another day, another month, another few months with ideas exploding in my head to do this, jump into this, spread your wings here…..and there…..and take off on a new adventure.

I put on the brakes and just write about it. Writing helps me sort out the inconsistencies in my life and in my actions and definitely in my accomplishments. 

Stick with

what makes you love to get up in the mornings, 

what makes you passionate, 

what creates exhilaration in your days, your months and your years. 

* * * * *

Pursue your goals gently, Joan. They may not be as unreachable as you think. 

You know that old saying, “If you can dream it, you can do it!”  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding my Tribe

sunday solitude afternoon serenity birds become my tribe