Tuesday, January 2, 2024

2024 and Gratitude



Aaaahhhh yes, the beauty of a fresh new year with commitments and prayers, thoughts and regrets all just shaken and stirred together into a new pot of possibilities.

Mary Oliver has written a poem, Gratitude, which I am spinning off of for today's blog. She asks the following questions and then answers them with her stunning poetic ways!

(excerpted from Oliver_Gratitude.pdf (aspeninstitute.org)

What did you notice?

What did you hear?

When did you admire?

What astonished you?

What would you like to see again?

What was most tender?

What was most wonderful?

What did you think was happening?

Today, the first day of the rest of my life, the second day of 2024, the day I rejoice in being one of His sheep as yes, I have heard His Voice and I want to know Him more intimately.

And so today I shall go outside, this sunshine-less day, and praise the gifts of nature and reflect on the questions above as Mary O. did. She envelops nature, birds, one dog and the sea and yes, she concluldes with "so the gods shake us from our sleep."

May you awaken spiritually with me this year. 

May you reckon that God will shake you with His beauty and His being ...... as you allow.

Praise be to Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Write to Weave

 Below is an essay I just completed for my Sarah Lawrence memoir writing class. The prompt was to write about a learning experience. Mine is...