Sunday, January 28, 2024

Roasting Beans



My entanglement with coffee - not a fetish, not an addiction, not a love affair, not encyclopedic knowledge, but just plain pleasure in the morning.

I grind my beans and make a pot.

I sometimes have green beans and roast them like Daughter-In-Law taught me. She has bags of beans in her pantry and closets. Big burlap bags of green beans. Currently I have no green beans.

The coffee lady at the farmer’s market said she would sell me a couple pounds of green beans for $6/pound. She forgot to bring them last weekend. She must have felt threatened as she then said, “You’re not going to start selling coffee, are you?” That thought never crossed my mind! My response, “I don’t intend to sell anything ever!”

(You might recall that I take My Little Free Library bookmobile to the farmer’s market most Saturdays.)

I buy the roasted beans at WalMart and really like the 8 o’clock brand.

However, I feel so homesteady when I roast my own.

One time Daughter-In-Law sent me many bags in the mail. I would like that to happen again but don’t know how much money to send her. Maybe I will text her and ask. She sent a variety that lasted for several months.

There are online companies, of course, where one can buy beans, sign up for subscription services and receive beans every month. I am considering that option. Coffee Bean Corral is one company that Daughter-In-Law recommended. That would be fun! I am talking myself into the subscription.  Hawaiian Green Coffee Beans - Coffee Bean Corral

I am pleased with my roaster. Amazon.com: Coffee Bean Roaster Machine for Home Use, Coffee Roaster Machine with Timing, 110V 1200W: Home & Kitchen

You roast, then raise the temperature, roast, then raise the temperature, each time setting the timer. I have not played around with the temperatures, but need to read a forum or two and maybe not follow the instructions precisely that came with the machine. Sometimes the coffee is quite strong, but surely that is the type of bean……not my lack of roasting knowledge. 😁

After the roasting is complete you spoon the beans into one of these:

Amazon.com: CNCEST Coffee Bean Roaster Coffee Bean Cooler Roasting Baking Machine Home w/ Filter: Home & Kitchen and all the wispy silver coatings flutter through the screen. I guess the fan is pulling them off and down. For me it is all magic!


So now. as I go grind and make a fresh pot of delicious coffee, I shall once again go down the green bean rabbit hole.

Buen cafe!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding my Tribe

sunday solitude afternoon serenity birds become my tribe