Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Joy Versus Happiness





Yesterday at the senior center when facilitating the writing class on the topic of gratefulness, one of the participants said she was taking the class to learn the difference between joy and happiness. Well, having never thought of discussing that philosophical thought, I decided to do my homework and google! I must confess that the title of the class is “Finding Joy and Gratefulness in the New Year.” Wake up, Joan! I had better stay the course, don’t you think?

We discussed the difference between gratefulness and gratitude, concluding that the latter depends on specific circumstances for which we’re thankful. Gratefulness is the big umbrella, the constant feeling of thanksgiving and spiritually existing in a mode of “all is well” even when it may not seem to be. Perhaps I should simply say that gratitude is temporary whereas gratefulness becomes a plausible constant existence.

My quick overview of happiness versus joy (that’s what I put in the google box) appears to be of that same wavelength.


Happiness vs Joy - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Joy seems to me a step beyond happiness—happiness is a sort of atmosphere you can live in sometimes when you’re lucky. Joy is a light that fills you with hope and faith and love. - Adela Rogers St. Johns, Some Are Born Great


I am currently taking my Bible study more seriously than I ever have in my life. I have decided if I keep desiring to be in His Will, I had better read what He has for me. So I did pull up a 

Joy vs. Happiness - The Biblical Difference Explained (biblestudytools.com)

The difference in the Biblical definition of joy is the source. Worldly possessions, accomplishments, even the people in our lives, are blessings that make us happy and fuel joyfulness. However, the source of all joy, is Jesus. God’s plan from the beginning, the Word made flesh to dwell among us is rock solid, allowing us to navigate difficult situations in the absence of happiness, while sustaining our joy. 


Time for me to conclude today’s writing. I think I am beginning to get a handle on this topic and look forward to paralleling it with gratitude and gratefulness for next Tuesday.


Any thoughts would be appreciated! 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment

SNAP! - so nice among plants

SNAP! - so nice among plants it only took a few minutes to water the invisible zinnias they're struggling, underground still i should ha...