Monday, January 8, 2024

Hooray! Book Club Meeting


I am looking forward to attending a book club this morning at the senior center. We are discussing 1984 and the person presenting is a former journalist, very confident and knowledgeable. When I present, I am none of those. However, as a former teacher I should have the techniques well polished, one would think.

I have vacillated for months regarding what book to present this year. I am still selecting. I read daily and buy books voraciously. I also reserve and pick up at the library weekly. Some books I scan and some chick lit books I devour. I should be embarrassed regarding the latter, but heck, this girl likes to lighten up her reading every couple weeks.


I read 1984 online, borrowed to my kindle, so will not have the hardcopy during our discussion. That’s ok because I am not into citing quotes and being that specific regarding 1984. I will use my ipad and have a summary online to refresh my memory.


Authors that I am considering for my selection are Octavia Butler or Marylynne Robinson. Both are highly respected writers. I have read only one book each. I need to revisit both authors this week and submit my choice and ask to be placed on the calendar in May. 


The club used to meet every Monday, spending two weeks on one book. When the facilitator retired and a new one miraculously appeared to take over the reins, she presented and we voted unanimously to meet twice a month. I am happy with less meetings because it has allowed me to join a poetry group at a neighboring library forty minutes away. This month the two conflicted and I chose to “stick with the local book club.”


Unfortunately, I had to cancel picking up Alison for the poetry group. Everyone loves to have Alison attend. She quit driving and appears so frail but is quite the firecracker. Alison is 93, extremely independent and lives in a local apartment where she has to scamper up a flight of steps, a steep flight.  I climb up like the old woman I am, holding onto the railing. Taking Alison is a trip in itself and she verbalizes that I drive too slow and “you missed that turn” and chatters while I am trying to keep us alive in a truck that makes it difficult for me to hear any conversation.
“Sorry, Alison, but I am staying local today.”
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding my Tribe

sunday solitude afternoon serenity birds become my tribe