Friday, January 5, 2024

For The Birds


wild birds to appease

what fun! find the feeder and

more at the seed store


That says it all! I’m off tripping to the local Wild Birds Unlimited Store. I have never been in one and evidently they have a good business model since they’ve been in business for years.


Today is National Bird Day! I am celebrating our avion friends, free to be a flutter in my backyard. I have two small Walmart feeders but want to treat myself and the birds to a nice $$$ feeder and nourishing food. I am sure the bags I buy at the discount store are discounted in nutrients. 


Give those winged entertainers a better diet, better feeder and surely, “they will come.” And just to take this one step further there is an article: 

National Bird Day: Celebrate the kind you are based on your zodiac sign (nypost.com)

informing me that I definitely relate to a certain bird according to my astrological sign. 


Sagittarius is the sign of indomitable hope and because the swallow was often the first bird a sailor/pirate would see when approaching land, they have come to symbolize renewal, return and homecoming.


The swallow is my go-to! Perhaps my first tattoo should be a swallow! Well, I don’t plan on drowning and a tattoo is not on my 2024 agenda. (I didn’t even ask my daughter a couple days ago where her next tattoo is to be placed as she had an appointment!)


Also: a swallow tattooed on a collarbone could carry a drowned man’s soul heavenward. I like that - some days I feel like a trip heavenward would be, well….heavenly! I could speculate that “downing” for me doesn’t necessarily mean in the water.


And so this Bird Day is fine with me. I hope I find something in my price range and this isn’t just another wild goose chase. 🙂





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Write to Weave

 Below is an essay I just completed for my Sarah Lawrence memoir writing class. The prompt was to write about a learning experience. Mine is...